Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sloppy Wet Kiss

I’ve been keeping up with the shootings at Chardon High School in Ohio. A little untypical of me to follow a story so closely, but I have been really drawn to it. Today as the young, alleged, seventeen year old shooter had his first hearing, I learned that the family surrounding him was two aunts and a grandfather. No father, no mother. I said to myself and maybe to God, “... another fatherless kid.” My heart started to break, not just for TJ Lane (alleged shooter) but for all the fatherless kids who I know and are lost in some manner. To be honest my thoughts went straight to the Church. There are so many scriptures about justice for the widows and fatherless. I have a desire deep in my heart for the church to be victorious in the now. I know there is a day coming when we will reign victoriously with Christ, but I don’t believe that excuses us from being victorious right now. I believe that every time a Christian adopts a baby, saves a baby and mother from abortion, mentors, takes care of a widow, needy and poor that we are victorious in the now. Likewise, I believe for every TJ Lane we should evaluate what we are doing as a church and what we are missing. I know it seems impossible to fight for every fatherless child, but it’s still a desire breaking my heart.


There is a song called How He Loves written by John Mark McMillan a few years ago. I’ve heard several arguments over this song, some for some against. The latest one I heard, a couple of days before the Chardon shootings, involved someone saying they never wanted to sing the words, “...sloppy wet kiss again.” In the same conversation the song was referred to as a “bedroom” song. That analogy is from likening the Sunday morning church service to having company over at your house. You spend most your time in a living room or kitchen where it is comfortable, not hanging out in the intimacy of a bedroom. Please understand that I understand the analogy and the argument behind the analogy. As the phrase “bedroom song” rang in my ears, my heart disagreed. It’s a living room, around the kitchen table, outside in the backyard, in the mall, at the zoo and any where else that the opportunity rises for a father to lavish his love on his children type of song. My heart hurt a little, and I asked God to help me lead worship in such a way that His love, the Father’s love, is revealed. For every argument I’ve heard against that song, those lyrics to be exact, I’ve heard two on the other side of the spectrum where people learn of the love of God in a whole new way after hearing and singing and worship with the song.


As I was processing what I was learning today about TJ Lane I was overwhelmed with compassion for him. I cried out mercy over him. To be honest, I was willing to dismiss it as emotionalism, after all my son will be in high school next year. The thought of homeschooling even crossed my mind. Yep, right up to the point when I heard God, the Father, say, “he (TJ) was in need of a sloppy wet kiss.” I had not connected the two yet. As I was driving and crying everything slowed down as I did connect the two: Asking the Lord for a revelation of the Father’s love and Him responding by using these shootings.


In my circles there is disunity in the church over what songs should be sung on Sunday mornings, when does worship become too expressive, new churches starting and why, new church formats and why, and who prophesied what. And though those things hold importance, I regret the amount of time I’ve personally wasted arguing over Sunday morning services, it’s two hours of an entire week. I regret every opportunity I’ve missed to reveal the great, big, messy, unfailing, unchanging, doesn’t care what room of the house you are in love of God. I mean, what are we doing? I'd rather be the hands and feet of God's sloppy wet kiss to every and any fatherless, needy child (young or old) that crosses my path.


(In case you can’t tell, I’m having another Pop-Eye moment. See Bill Hybels’ book Holy Discontent.)


Perhaps, if we are going to sing songs that have the words “...here I raise my ebenezer...” then it’s not that big of deal to walk across the spectrum and sing the words “heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss...” This post isn't really about the song or the lyrics or when and where it should be sung. It's about how far will we go to make sure people are hearing about the Father's love.


Father God, would you send someone who knows you and your love to TJ Lane and change his life with a big kiss from heaven. And would you open my eyes and heart to fatherless and needy all around me. I’m not satisfied with only singing about you.

9 comments:

Roger Humphreys said...

Honey, I have never been more proud to be your earthly father than I am right now ... and I have always been proud of you. Keep on showing Father's love with the songs that He gives ... those that really show His heart to us needing the sloppy wet kisses.

Andrea Powell said...

Wow. Ditto what your Dad said (except I'm a proud friend). You just communicated so much of what is on my heart. Lord, help us. Break out hearts for the things that break yours, and help us to love like You love. Help us to accurately re-present Your love to the world around us. Help us not to be satisfied with just singing about your love but to be living in it and sharing it. Lord, forgive us for spending so much time focusing our time and energy on seemingly unimportant things while missing/overlooking opportunities to share Your love with the hurting, broken, needy, abandoned.

Beth Brawley Taylor said...

Never have understood the issue some have with the idea of the bridal chamber. He is our groom, we are His bride and the bridal chamber was made for intimacy. I like it there and I will take sloppy wet kisses any day. Great post, my friend.

Eddie Taylor said...

Excellent post. I'm so glad that I took a moment or two to read this.i am posting this on my FB and asking my friends to drink this down.

Robbin said...

Thank you. And ditto to what Beth said. MORE, many MORE sloppy wet kisses for me, for those around us... and from us to Him - in ANY room.

Rodney & Deborah Demers said...

Amen and Amen!! It seems like The Holy Spirit moves and then man turns it into religion (I will resist the urge to elaborate on what that might look like). What would happen if a Holy Spirit awakening moved toward pure religion which is defined in James 1:27 as "Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world."

abbey gore said...

This story has burdened me deeply as well, Adrienne. On so many levels. As far as a "sloppy wet kiss" is concerned, I love that song so, so much. That lyric included. And who said sloppy wet kisses have to always be "for the bedroom". For example, if I am upset, my dog senses it. She stairs at me intensely and pushes into my leg with her nose until I invite her onto my lap. Then she buries her head into my neck and sloppily and lovingly licks my face, my tears, comforting me. (She does this with the boys too) Every time that happens, I am instantly drawn to Christ, thankful for such an intimate God. For His life ring via a lowly dog, of all things. Sloppy wet kisses are for the broken. Bring them on! We are all in need of them, this young man included. Great post.

Larry said...

You have touched on the exact reason why the church has lost it's voice and relevance in our society today adrienne.....we have allowed ourselves to be consumed with church services and the like, not leaving enough time or energy to just love on the unloved .....no preaching, converting, encouraging them to join our fellowship but just honest to goodness, no strings attached loving them right in the middle of whatever they find themselves mired in

Adrienne Scott said...

It's far more exciting to be the hands and feet of God's kisses than it is to sing about them.